.

Patriotic songs  

Posted by Laya in

Since I've been blogging more about patriotic songs lately, triggered by Lea Salonga's rendition of Bayan Ko, I thought I'd try to recall the other songs we used to sing when I was still in school. These are the songs that we sang in class.


We sang this song a lot in Grade Five and Grade Six. When I was still in the lower grades I used to wish I was already in the higher grades so I could learn the song. I think it's the Armed Forces Hymn, but I'm not sure.

----------------------------
Philippines my native land,
the country of the brave!
Pearl of all the orient seas,
the home of men upright.
We are ready all the time
to work for peace and right,
Philippines, dear Philippines,
for freedom all of us will fight.

Freedom for freedom,
freedom for the right!
Freedom for freedom,
we all must fight
for...

Repeat first stanza
---------------------------------

Also, another one of my favorite patriotic songs, Pilipinas Kong Mahal. It has lyrics in English and in Filipino, the weird thing is that the Filipino version is not a translation of the English version. LOL. Also the English version has more stanzas.

----------------------------------
Pilipinas Kong Mahal

Ang bayan ko'y tanging ikaw,
Pilipinas kong mahal,
Ang puso ko at buhay man
Sa iyo'y ibibigay
Tungkulin ko'y gagampanan
Na lagi kang paglingkuran
Ang laya mo'y babantayan
Pilipinas kong hirang...

Philippines My Beloved
(Rough translation by Laya)
My country is you alone,
Philippines my beloved,
My heart and even my life
To you I will give
My duty I will fulfill
To serve you always
And guard your freedom,
Philippines my beloved.

The English version goes:

Philippines My Philippines

I love my own, my native land
Philippines my Philippines
To thee I give my heart and hand
Philippines my Philippines
The trees that crown thy mountains grand
The seas that beat upon thy strand
Awake my heart to thy command
Philippines my Philippines

Ye islands of the eastern sea
Philippines my Philippines
Thy people we shall ever be
Philippines my Philippines
Our fathers lived and died in thee
And soon shall come the day when we
Lie down with them at God's decree
Philippines my Philippines

Yet still beneath thy ardent sky
Philippines my Philippines
More numerous sons shall live and die
Philippines my Philippines
In them shall breathe the purpose high
The glorious day to bring more nigh
When all may sing without a sigh,
Philippines my Philippines

Thy past has little known of peace
Philippines my Philippines
From want and war without release
Philippines my Philippines
Then speed the day when evils cease
And happiness to thee increase
Thy day of plenty and of peace,
Philippines my Philippines.
-------------------------------------
I don't know who wrote and composed these songs. They are beautiful, but I think we took them for granted when we were still singing them in school. What happens when they're not sung anymore? Do the children even realize what they are singing, or are they just mouthing the words without thinking about them?

There's a song with the lyrics "Luzon Visayas at Mindanao, Pilipinas ang tanglaw," but I forgot the other words. I'll have to look it up or ask around about it. If you remember this song or other patriotic songs, please tell me about them. Thanks!

Here's one song I learned in Grade Four about my native island, although I forgot some of the words. It's a good way to learn the different regions on the island:

Welcome to Mindanao

We welcome you, we welcome you to Mindanao
___________________ is the land of promise
We welcome you, we welcome you to Moroland
The land of promise the land of pearls.
Bukidnon pineapple factories,
Agusan has lumberyards
Surigao has golden mines,
And Cotabato, rice granaries
Davao Oriental has abaca plantations
Misamis Occidental has coconuts,
Zamboanga has fishing grounds
Sulu and Lanao, the lands of pearl.

This entry was posted at Sunday, August 16, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

11 people cared

Here's another song I learned from grade school in a public school in the early 60's:

My Native Land

Mid the sunny Orient seas
Birthplace of the glorious day
Lies a lovely Eden land
Treasure land in every way
Thousand isles bedeck her realm
Under skies of tropic blue
Verdant vales and mountains
Enchanting to the view.
(Repeat)

Land of blessings from above
Land of ardent sterling love
Land of faith unfailing
Land of charms unending
Land where heroes brave enshrined
Land where life is bliss divine
This is my fair beloved land
My own dear native land.

October 9, 2009 at 10:57 AM

We sang this song in sixth grade I believe. If my memory serves me right, it is on page 20, Philippine Music Horizon and the song was composed by Jose P. Rizal. The book is pinkish in color and the book title is printed in dark blue.

I think it is PATRIOTS rather than heroes re: Land where patriots brave enshrined

September 3, 2010 at 8:07 PM

I learned this song in the early 50's when I was in grade school. To date I still know the entire song by heart except that I somehow replaced heroes with patriots on line 13.

March 9, 2011 at 4:45 AM

I agree with Julito. I learned this in the early 50's in grade school. It is patriots not heroes.

March 9, 2011 at 4:49 AM

I agree with Julito. It is patriots not heroes.

March 11, 2011 at 9:34 PM

The second verse in the Philippines Our Native Land is not "Freedom for Freedom" its "Wake Up so Wake Up" fight for the right. Then this is followed by "Freedom for Freedom" all must fight.

June 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Naku, napabayaan ko na ang blog na to.

@eracamal, thanks. I guess we were singing it wrong then XDD wala akong maalalang "wake up so wake up" puro "freedom for freedom"

June 16, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Indeed it is "Wake Up so Wake Up" fight for the right."

August 15, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Indeed it is "Wake Up so Wake Up" fight for the right."

August 15, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I was singing "my Native Land" a few hours ago but forgot the refrain. Thanks for having posted the complete verses. I also agree that the right two verses for the refrain were: "Stand up all stand up, fight for the right, freedom for freedom, all must fight .."

February 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I was singing "my Native Land" a few hours ago but forgot the refrain. Thanks for having posted the complete verses. I also agree that the right two verses for the refrain were: "Stand up all stand up, fight for the right, freedom for freedom, all must fight .."

February 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Post a Comment

Quality affordable condos in Manila

Own an affordable Ayala Land condominium in the heart of Manila. It's located beside SM San Lazaro, a five-minute ride away from the University Belt and UST, and a stone's throw from LRT Tayuman Station.

Now pre-selling units in Tower 5.
Studio (22.4 - 23.49 sq. m.) - P1.6M - P1.8M
1BR (39.36 - 40.73 sq. m.) - P2.9M - P3.3M
2BR (45.49 sq.m.) - P3.5M - P3.8M
Loft (39.85 - 66.83 sq. m.) - P3.2M - P5.1M

For inquiries please contact Eva at
(plus-six-three)-nine-two-one-six-one-two-four-five-three-three
or email mhie(underscore)bate22(at)yahoo(dot)com



AddThis Social Bookmark Button
MeFindome.org: Homeless Cats & Dogs for Adoption